home news box office fixtures the team fans commercial lottery the club
Search website
United J League Kids Football Courses








The Club » Dundee United A - Z ( C )

Dundee United A - Z ( C )

When the Scottish League resumed after the war in 1946, several clubs which had been members of Division Two in 1939 were displaced and were accommodated in a new C Division, along with the reserve sides of Dundee, Dundee United and St Johnstone.
United’s reserves therefore participated in C Division from 1946 to 1952, but in 1954 very nearly had the first team as members. The club avoided bottom place in B Division only on goal average, and were spared the indignity of C Division thanks to Rangers reserves pipping Stranraer for the championship of the South/West section.
C Division was scrapped in 1956.
Kenny CAMERON (born 1943)
Signed from Kilmarnock in 1968, he holds the distinction of being the first United player to be the leading League scorer in the top division.
His senior career began with Dundee FC, for whom he scored in the1964 Scottish Cup final. He joined United from Kilmarnock and was a regular scorer during his six years at Tannadice, leaving in 1974 to join Montrose, whom he later managed. Kenny returned to Tannadice as coach, then chief scout, until leaving in 1996 (after fifteen years) to become full-time manager of junior club Dundee St Joseph’s. He joined the coaching staff at Dens Park in 1997.
United’s only visit to Canada was in May 1992 for the Guinness Challenge Cup, played in Vancouver. United drew 1-1 with Vancouver 86ers, followed by defeats from Chelsea (0–3) and Vancouver Island All Stars (1–2).
It was against Canada in June 1983 that Eammon Bannon, Richard Gough, Dave Narey and Paul Sturrock represented their country, the first occasion on which four United players were selected for a full international. (In a full international against Israel in 1986, Gough. Malpas, Narey and Bannon all started the game and with Paul Sturrock coming on as substitute, five United players took part.)
A former Rangers player, Walter was signed by Jerry Kerr in March 1960 and made his debut on 13 August in a 2-1 victory over Stirling Albion. An exciting winger, ‘Wattie’ scored some spectacular goals, one direct from a corner kick, and was a firm favourite with the fans. He left the club for Millwall in November 1963. While at Tannadice, Walter played in 103 League and Cup games, and scored forty-five goals.

He returned to Scotland in 1965 and played for Motherwell, St Johnstone and, finally, Alloa. Walter sadly passed away on 31 December 2007.
The clubs met for the first time in September 1925 in United’s first season in Division One. The game attracted a then record crowd of 20,000 to Tannadice and United capped a great day by winning 1–0 with a goal by Jimmy Howieson. They had had three more seasons together by 1932, but did not meet again in the League until 1960. Since then, the only interruption was United’s brief sojourn in the First Division in 1995/96. The clubs also met in the Drybrough Cup in 1979.
United’s first win at Celtic Park was in May 1967 (see below) at the thirteenth attempt. United’s biggest win over Celtic is 3–0, at Tannadice in April 1980 and May 1982 (both Premier Division), and at Parkhead in November 1980 (League Cup) and October 1985 (Premier Division). Their heaviest defeats have been 0–5 at Tannadice in December 1967 and 0–7 at Celtic Park in March 1930, both in Division One. United’s most famous win over Celtic came in the Scottish Cup in January 1949. United were a mid-table Division Two side and few expected anything other than a Celtic victory. But Willie MacFadyen’s team, roared on by most of the 25,000 all-ticket crowd, took a two-goal lead through a Peter McKay penalty and Jimmy Dickson. Celtic pegged it back, only for McKay to strike again – after the referee had disallowed a United ‘goal’ for the third time in the match! Celtic quickly made it 3–3, but United were not to be denied and George Cruikshank strode through to score what proved the winner. It was as a result of this match that United came to be known as The Terrors!
Fact: In season 1966/67 Celtic won every competition they entered, including the European Cup. In retaining the Scottish League championship, they suffered only two defeats, both of which were inflicted by United, each by a margin of 3–2.
Notable transfers to: Tom McAdam (1977), David Hannah (1996)
Notable transfers from: Frank Quinn (1948), Neil Mochan (1960), David Hannah (1999)
United’s record against Celtic in the major competitions is :
Scottish League (total):
P 143
W 34
D 34
L 77
F 155
A 265
Premier Division:
P 105
W 25
D 25
L 55
F 108
A 170
Scottish Cup:
P 13
W 2
D 1
L 10
F 16
A 31
Scottish League Cup:
P 24
W 5
D 5
L 14
F 19
A 36
Alex CLELAND (born 1970)
Alex Cleland was a schoolboy cap (U-15) when he joined in June 1987. He made his first-team debut at 17 but took a further three years to claim the right back place on a regular basis. A member of the Scottish Cup-winning team, he was transferred to Rangers in January 1995, in a joint deal with Gary Bollan worth £750,000. Alex was subsequently transferred to Everton, where he was re-united with manager Walter Smith.
See also Tannadice Park
In 1875, the area of Dundee between Coldside and Maryfield was open countryside, the only habitation being the farmhouses of West Clepington and East Clepington farms. Where Dens Road and Mains Road converged the road degenerated into a cart-track at what is now Provost Road, and this continued several hundred yards north to meet Clepington Road. The area immediately south of Clepington Road was simply open fields. The only road leading into this area was Arklay Street, a mere hundred yards in length north from Dens Road.
Organised football was by then burgeoning throughout the city and it seems the grassy part of that area – basically covering what are now the allotments behind Tannadice Park – was first used in the late 1870s. Ironically, the first club to claim part of that area as its home ground was called East End FC. They did so in 1882, giving it the name Clepington Park. The irony lies in the fact that, 11 years later, East End would be one of the two clubs which amalgamated to form Dundee FC. East End remained there until moving to a new ground in 1890, and Clepington Park was then taken over by Dundee Wanderers.
By that time, Provost Road had come into being, and, like Arklay Street, had been built as far north as Clepington Road. The area to the west of Arklay Street remained open land but that to the right was being gradually developed. Proceeding north up Arklay Street in 1890, one of the new streets on the right had been given the name Tannadice Street.
The following year Dundee Wanderers decided to enclose the ground they had taken over to enable them to charge for admission. But, in order to provide a better vantage point for spectators, it was decided to harness the natural slope roughly a hundred yards to the west (below what is now Sandeman Street). It was this area which they enclosed and the club built what was termed a ‘grandstand’, although this was a simple wooden structure of bench seats, probably no more than ten deep; it had no roof and would have accommodated 500 spectators at most.
By 1909, Tannadice Street had been extended across Arklay Street to meet Sandeman Street at an angle. At the point where these two streets met was Dens Park, the new Dundee FC ground, opened in 1899. The triangular area immediately to its east, circumscribed by Sandeman, Arklay and Tannadice Streets, contained Clepington Park.
When Dundee Hibs were formed that year, their choice of a ground came as a surprise. Given the club’s origins within the city’s Irish community, it had been expected they would set up home in the Lochee district, where the bulk of that community had settled. However, rather than construct their own ground, the men who had formed the new club decided to seek ready-made accommodation at Clepington Park, home for the past 19 years of Dundee Wanderers, a club which would be the Hibs’ main local rivals. On behalf of his committee, the Hibs’ secretary Pat Reilly made an offer to the landlords which clearly exceeded what Wanderers were paying. The result was that the established tenants were informed that their lease would not be renewed for the coming season, and instead was to be transferred to the Hibs.
This caused quite a furore in the city and the extent of the Wanderers’ anger can be gauged from the fact that, before departing Clepington Park, the club dismantled the grandstand and wooden changing rooms along with the fencing which enclosed the ground; even the goal-posts were removed, leaving Hibs with what was, literally, an open space!
Immediately on taking over the lease, the Hibs committee decided to emphasise the arrival of the new club by changing the name of the ground. They settled on Tannadice Park, simply adopting the name of the street on which the main entrance to the ground was to be situated.
The first known instance of the club having an official badge was in 1923, following the take-over which led to Dundee Hibs becoming a limited company for the first time – and changing the official colours from green and white to black and white.
In their first season, Dundee United also wore a badge. In 1959, a new strip was introduced – all-white, with two black bands – incorporating a badge. It is not clear why the official club crest, which had been featured on the match programme since 1956, did not appear on the jersey.
The badge introduced in 1959 simply involved the placing of ‘DUFC’ within the shape of a shield and endured for ten years until the adoption of tangerine as the official club colours. A circular badge then appeared for the first time, featuring a 1970s version of the lion rampant, and this continued until superceded by variations of 'DUFC' between 1974 and 1983.
The Premier Division championship triumph was marked by a commemorative jersey badge which used the original lion rampant design for the first time, and that basic design was retained for ten years. 1993 brought a radical change, introducing a modern corporate image for the club. This included a new logo, in circular form, which was used both as the official club crest as well as the jersey badge.
The clubs first met in 1924/25, during United’s first championship season in Division Two, but their contact was restricted to just five more seasons (three in Division One) between then and 1960. Clyde were fellow members of Division One for most of the intervening period until the formation of the Premier Division, but the clubs have not met in a League match since then. United’s last visit to Shawfield Stadium was in April 1975.
Notable transfers to: Johnny Coyle (1957), Stephen McConologue (2003)
Notable transfers from: Jimmy Loney (1910)
The playing record against Clyde in major competitions is:
Scottish League:
P 36
W 16
D 6
L 14
F 68
A 74
Scottish Cup: the clubs have been drawn together just once, in 1995. Following a goalless draw at Tannadice, United won 5–1 at Broadwood Stadium
League Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1957, 1968 and 1970.
P 6
W 1
D 2
L 3
F 10
A 17
Cowdenbeath were regular opponents of Dundee Hibs, being fellow members of Division Two during the Hibs’s first five seasons of Scottish League membership. As the Central Park club spent most of the inter-war period in Division One, United encountered them much less frequently, but normal service was resumed in the League’s lower division in the late 1940s and 1950s. Since then Cowdenbeath have had just one season at the top level and the clubs last met in a League match at Tannadice in April 1971.
Fact: United suffered their heaviest defeat against Cowdenbeath in a Division Two match at Central Park in October 1925. The result was 7–0, though there were mitigating circumstances. After goalkeeper Bob Morrison failed to arrive for the match, full back Dave Collington had to deputise.
Notable transfers from: Andy Rolland (1967)
The playing record against Cowdenbeath in major competitions is:
Scottish League:
P 62
W 14
D 19
L 29
F 98
A 155
Scottish Cup: the clubs have been drawn together just once, Cowdenbeath winning 5–3 at Central Park in 1936.
League Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1946, 1947, 1950, 1951, 1958, 1980 and 1995.
P 13
W 5
D 2
L 6
F 24
A 23
Johnny COYLE (born 1933)
Signed by manager Willie MacFadyen from St Joseph’s Juniors in 1950 at the age of 17, the Dundee-born youngster made his debut a year later, scoring four goals in his second appearance. Until 1955, his appearances were restricted through a spell on loan to Brechin City followed by national service, but on returning his form was sensational. The 41 goals he scored in Division Two in season 1955/56 established a record which has stood for nearly 50 years.
The standard of the team at that time is illustrated by the fact that United could not hold on to Coyle when Clyde (then in Division One) offered him the chance to play at a higher level. The sizeable fee of £8,000 which United received was scant consolation to the supporters, though the move worked out well for Coyle; a few months later he scored the goal which won the 1958 Scottish Cup for his new club, and he continued to score regularly in Division One.
Nonetheless, he remained a part-time player with the Glasgow club, and in 1961 he moved to England, joining Cambridge City of the Southern League. The rest of his career was spent in non-League football, following which he remained in Cambridge, working at his trade as a bricklayer.
Dundee United have contested 13 major cup finals, with a rate of success (three) which leaves something to be desired.
The most famous final was the Uefa Cup of 1986/87, a feat which no other Scottish club had achieved. There was no disgrace in losing out by the narrow margin (1–2) to IFK Gothenburg. This was the last time a Scottish club contested a European final until Celtic lost in the same competition in 2003.
In the Scottish Cup, United’s success in 1994 was long overdue, coming as it did after six unsuccessful attempts in finals spread over the previous 20 years. The club has contested the final of the Scottish League Cup on five occasions, winning in 1979, retaining the trophy the following year but narrowly failing to record the hat-trick in 1981. United also reached the final in 1984 and 1997.
See also Slovakia
United visited Czechoslovakia on three occasions on European business, and all three ended in defeats.
The club’s third venture in the Fairs Cup in 1970, following a first-round victory over Grasshoppers Zurich, paired them with Sparta Prague. The first leg in the Czech capital was marked by the European debut of Hamish McAlpine, who came on as a substitute for the injured Donald Mackay. The match ended with United losing 1-3. Despite constant pressure in the return leg, an Alan Gordon strike was as much as Jerry Kerr’s team could manage, and the Czechs advanced on a 3–2 aggregate.
Thirteen years on, McAlpine returned to Prague. The team of which he was now part were well on the way to winning the League championship and many Arabs now regard it as fortuitous that United’s European progress was halted by Bohemians, allowing the players to concentrate on the pursuit of the championship. A 0-1 first-leg defeat seemed poor return for a controlled United performance in Prague.The return at Tannadice saw Jim McLean’s team dominated the match, but fail to make the breakthrough.
The final occasion on which a club from Czechoslovakia would visit Tannadice was just five months after the Uefa Cup final. However, United contrived to produce as dismal a performance on a European occasion as they have ever managed. Vitkovice’s players, aware of United’s record in the competition, could scarcely believe their good fortune and should have departed with more than a 1–0 lead. United did improve in the second leg but a 1–1 draw was not enough.



Subscribe to our e-newsletterView our RSS Feed
  © The Dundee United Football Company Limited
This website, and its component parts, are the property of The Dundee United Football Company Limited, and are protected by the copyright laws of the United Kingdom and under international law. The website may not be copied, duplicated, stored or otherwise reproduced, in whole or in part or parts, without the express written consent of the Company.