home news box office fixtures the team fans commercial lottery the club
Search website
United J League Kids Football Courses








The Club » Dundee United A - Z ( D )

Dundee United A - Z ( D )

Christian DAILLY (born 1973)
Christian Dailly
A die hard Arab, Christian became the youngest player to appear for the club in the Premier Division on his debut at 16 in August 1990. He made his name as a striker, but then dropped back to a defensive role. He gained his first U-21 cap at the age of 16 and went on to establish a world record number of 34 appearances at that level.
The highlight of his career at Tannadice was unquestionably the Scottish Cup final of 1994, when his perseverance allowed Craig Brewster to score the only goal. Despite his youth, manager Billy Kirkwood made him club captain for season 1995/96 but he was transferred to Derby County for a fee of £500,000 during the close season of 1996. He quickly settled in the Premiership and in May 1997 won his first full international honour. He went on to play for Blackburn and West Ham and has been a regular defensive choice for Scotland.
Herbert DAINTY (1879-1961)
One of four Englishmen in the Dundee FC team which won the Scottish Cup in 1910, centre half Dainty left Scotland to play for Bradford City, but was lured back north of the border by Ayr United who offered him the job of player/manager in 1913.
It was in a similar role that he signed for Dundee Hibs in April 1915 and it was clear that his popularity in the city had endured, despite having ‘crossed the road’. During the war, benefit and charity matches were held to fill the gap in the rather haphazard leagues which then existed, and Dainty became actively involved in organising teams which he called ‘Dainty’s XI’ from any footballers who happened to be stationed in the Tayside or Fife area. Dundee Hibs were their opponents on several occasions.
He retired from playing in 1918 and was invited to become involved in running Dundee Hibs. He was co-opted onto the club committee in 1920 and was made chairman in 1922. Towards the end of that year, with the club in serious financial difficulties, it was taken over and turned into a limited company for the first time. Dainty’s services were no longer required and this ended his involvement with football.
Image used with permission from Pete Rundo
Image used with permission from Pete Rundo
When United competed in the North American Soccer League in 1967 and the International League two years later, they assumed the identity (and colours) of the Dallas club. The purpose of these competitions was to generate interest in ‘soccer’ in the States.
Most of the clubs, Dallas Tornado among them, went out of business in the early 1970s, though not before they had paid a visit to Tannadice to play a friendly in October 1969. This was, in effect, a return match as the clubs had met in Dallas the previous June, following the conclusion of the International League. Dallas Tornado was owned by Lamar Hunt, a major figure in the American sports industry. The Hunt Group continue to be a major force in soccer in the States, operating a number of clubs, including Dallas Burn.
It’s a fact: It was as Dallas Tornado that Dundee United played in Tangerine for the first time. This made such an impression that the directors were persuaded by the wife of manager Jerry Kerr to adopt the colours to give the club a brighter, more modern image. The new colours were paraded for the first time in a pre season friendly against Everton, in August 1969.
Sandy was signed by Jerry Kerr on 9 August 1961 from Butterburn Youth Club and made his first team debut on 23 April 1962 against Partick Thistle at Firhill. He shared the goalkeeper position with Donald Mackay until being transferred to Luton Town in 1968 for a reported fee of £8,000. He subsequently joined Southampton making his debut for them in February 1971. Sandy re-joined United in 1972 and emigrated to New Zealand in 1974, shortly after he played in goal in United’s first ever Scottish Cup Final.
It is as the home of one of United’s all-time greats, Finn Dossing, that Denmark has its main association with the club. Dossing was transferred from Viborg, and that club was, as a direct result, one of United’s opponents on their first visit to the country in 1966. That was an end-of-season tour, but on two occasions since (1982 and 1996) the club has used Denmark to prepare for the new season.
In the Uefa Cup of 1977, Jim McLean’s team was expected to defeat KB Copenhagen, despite the first leg at Tannadice producing no more than a 1–0 victory. However, United returned home shamefacedly, having been on the receiving end of a 3–0 beating.
Sixteen years were to elapse before the Uefa draw again paired United with Danish opponents, Brondby IF, whom United had beaten 3–1 in a friendly at Tannadice in March 1989. Ivan Golac rather extravagantly – and none too wisely – predicted that United would emerge from the first leg in Copenhagen with a three-goal advantage. The Danes won 2–0. The second leg produced one of those nights for which Tannadice became renowned as United took the tie into extra-time. However Brondby scored again, and although United did manage a third, the Danes advanced on the away-goals rule.
Apart from Dossing, United had another Dane during the heady days of the Scandanavian invasion in the mid-’60s. Somewhat unfairly, Mogens Berg has never received the credit he was due for sterling performances over more than 80 games.
The home of their city rivals has, in recent times, witnessed memorable triumphs for United. In addition to capturing the League Cup there in both 1979 and 1980, it was the venue of the derby match in which the Premier Division championship in 1983 was clinched.
Various matches have seen Dens used as a neutral venue, including three cup semi-finals involving United and Aberdeen. The first occasion came in the Scottish Cup of 1967, which Aberdeen won through an own goal by Tommy Millar. Three matches were needed before United advanced to the final of the same competition in 1988, although the Dons extracted early revenge, winning there in the semi-final of the League Cup later the same year. Aberdeen also won the most recent meeting, a League Cup semi final in February 2000.
Dundee Hibs were fairly regular visitors to Dens Park; it was frequently used as the venue for Forfarshire Cup finals and also for second replays in earlier rounds of what was at the time a very popular competition.
In addition, United have played a ‘home’ match at Dens Park. On 5 March 1947, at the end of one of the most severe winters on record, Tannadice was still snowbound when United were due to face Rangers in the second leg of the League Cup quarter-final. Despite being a mere 200 yards distant, Dens was playable, so the tie was switched there.
See also Dundee FC

The clubs first met on 13 March 1915, in a friendly at Dens Park.

Up to the end of season 2003/04, the clubs had met 220 times - DundeeHibs/United wins 89; Dundee FC wins 85; 46 draws. Goals: Dundee Hibs/United 343; Dundee FC 382.
Dundee United's biggest win:
5–0 at Dens Park, Division One, 11 September 1965
Dundee FC's biggest win:
8–1 at Dens Park, Forfarshire Cup, 19 August 1935

Biggest attendance at Tannadice Park: 25,000 Division One, 3 January 1927, Scottish Cup, 4 February 1956.

It's a fact: the most famous city derby of all was played at Dens Park on 6 December 1980. It was the League Cup final, the only time in the history of the competition that the first match has been taken away from Hampden Park. United won 3–0 in front of a crowd of 24,700.
Dundee United's biggest win:
5–0 at Dens Park, Division One, 11 September 1965
Dundee FC's biggest win:
8–1 at Dens Park, Forfarshire Cup, 19 August 1935
Biggest attendance at Dens Park :
38,000 Scottish Cup, 27 January 1951
Andy Dickson joined Dundee United as trainer and phsiotherapist in May 1960 after being with Dunfermline as assistant trainer, trainer, then manager. He was a valued and respected member of the training team at Tannadice for many years and a well known personality to the fans. Andy died in 19911 but is forever remembered in the song “Proud to be an Arab” by Ricky Ross.
Billy DODDS (born1969)
In his first spell with the club he was manager Paul Sturrock's first signing; trading Robbie Winters to secure the Scottish international striker from Aberdeen. Billy's Tannadice career got off to a great start with a hat trick against former club St Johnstone. Billy more than played his part in helping United retain their Premier status 1998-99 with 16 league goals and became a huge favourite with the fans. He continued his outstanding form for United in season 1999-2000 when he also became Scotland's first choice striker. Billy was transferred to Rangers on Friday 3 December 1999 and it seemed that both the form of the team and the morale of the fans never fully recovered from the loss of his services.
He returned to Tannadice on 1st January 2003 and made his second debut in the match against Kilmarnock in the SPL the following day. The match ended 2-2 with Billy netting to equalise the visitor's opening goal. He won a total of 26 Scotland caps, 11 while with United.
Dave DODDS (born 1958)
Dave Dodds
A Scottish schools U-15 cap, he was signed from Sporting Club, Dundee, in May 1975; he made his debut at 17 against Arbroath in a League Cup tie the following year, scoring twice.
An early product of Jim McLean’s local scouting system, he was a vital part of the team which captured the club’s first trophy in 1979 and raised its standing to the point where the League championship came to Tannadice in 1983. He was the club’s leading scorer in five of the seven seasons in which he was a first-team regular, one of these coming in the 1980 League Cup final. His 22 goals during the championship-winning season represent the only occasion on which a United player has exceeded 20 goals in a season in the Premier Division. Dave remains United’s second top Premier Division scorer behind his team-mate Paul Sturrock, and they remain the only two to reach the hundred-mark.
He was transferred to the Swiss club Neuchatel Xamax in 1986, but did not stay long, returning to Scotland with Aberdeen. He ended his career with Rangers, joining in 1989, where he won his second Premier Division championship medal. He retired at the end of the following season to take up a position as coach with the Ibrox club, which he held until 1997. He represented Scotland at every level while a United player, including two full caps
Finn DOSSING (born 1941)
Finn Dossing
Quite simply one of the greatest goalscorers in the club’s history and a boyhood hero of the compiler of this site!
Signed by manager Jerry Kerr from Viborg, the Dane made his debut along with Orjan Persson in December 1964 at a time when United were under severe threat of relegation. With 21 goals in only 19 matches, Dossing was a huge influence in the club’s moving into mid-table security.
Hugely popular at Tannadice, he scored 25 goals the following season as United qualified for European competition for the first time. Sadly, he did not adequately reap the reward of his efforts, as injury kept him out of both games against Barcelona and the first against Juventus; typically, returning for the home leg against the Italians, he scored the game’s only goal.
After almost three years, Finn took his leave of Tannadice as a hero, having scored 76 goals in 115 appearances. He returned to Denmark where he successfully ran his own gents’ outfitters business in his home town of Viborg. He retains an association with the club by his membership of ArabTRUST and by one of the Federation of Dundee United Supporters’ Clubs , in Argyll, being named after him.
Dumbarton were early opponents of Dundee Hibs, the clubs sharing membership of Division Two from 1910 to 1913. Dundee United found themselves in the same division as the Boghead Park club for 27 out of 30 League seasons between 1923 and 1960, but the two have since met in only three seasons in Division One and one each in the Premier Division and the First Division.
It’s a fact: Dumbarton were the first–ever opponents of Dundee United. Three days after officially adopting their new name, they travelled to Boghead Park for a Division Two match on 27 October 1923, which Dumbarton won 3–0.
The playing record against Dumbarton in major competitions is:

Scottish League (total):
P 70
W 29
D 13
L 28
F 155
A 131
Premier Division:
P 4
W 3
D 1
L 0
F 9
A 2

Scottish Cup: the clubs have been drawn together just twice, in 1949 and1955.
P 3
W 1
D 1
L 1
F 6
A 5

League Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1946, 1949, 1952, 1957, 1976, 1984 and 2001.
P 12
W 8
D 1
L 3
F 27
A 15

Notable transfers from: Tom McAdam (1975), John Bourke (1977)
Over the years, the city’s two clubs have had what might be described diplomatically as a friendly rivalry. There is evidence that Dundee FC, as a top club in 1909 when Dundee Hibs were formed, regarded themselves as somewhat superior. The Dens Park board tended to be from the jute-owning and commercial business class of the city, while those responsible for forming the Hibs were small businessmen – such as secretary Pat Reilly, who owned a cycle shop – and publicans.
Dundee’s A team played in the Northern League along with the Hibs and it was the reserves which also met them in the Forfarshire Cup. A sign that there was no love lost between the players is that The Courier’s report of a Forfarshire Cup semi-final at Dens Park in April 1912 was described as ‘a Donnybrook’. The match ended 2–2 and the reporter observed that ‘when the replay takes place it is to be hoped both teams will endeavour to subdue the physical tones in their picture’.
So, by 1912, both players and officials already had a less than cosy relationship, and that was hardly improved when the clubs eventually met at first-team level. It was supposed to be a friendly match at Dens Park in March 1915. The Division One club, not surprisingly, won rather easily, but there was a clear edge between the players, as illustrated by the report which appeared in the Saturday Evening Post. It stated that ‘. . . the rivalry between the teams is shown by the number of stoppages for fouls’.
The objections by Dundee FC to the Hibs directors’ proposed name-change to Dundee City in 1923 was a further manifestation of the attitude of those in charge at Dens Park. The Tannadice club were clearly regarded as upstarts, so it must have come as a jolt when Jimmy Brownlie’s team won promotion to Division One in 1926. The first city League derbies the following season were each won by the home club and, interestingly, United’s average home attendance for the season was greater than Dundee FC’s.
The clubs shared Division One status during United’s three other seasons in the top League prior to 1932, and they met again in Division Two during 1938/39, following Dundee’s unexpected relegation. Apart from the first two seasons following the war (see Southern League), further League meetings had to await United’s promotion in 1960. That event, following which United established themselves at the top level for the first time, marked a watershed in the status of the two clubs, with United taking over the mantle of the city’s major club for most, if not all, of the remainder of the century.
Relationships were strained in the early 1990s when Dundee FC chairman Angus Cook devised an audacious plan to buy into Dundee United, then merge the two clubs. This met with outrage and outright resistance in equal measure from the United board and was equally vigorously opposed by Arabs. Cook was defeated and the club then passed to foreign ownership before being bought by local businessmen, Peter and Jimmy Marr in 1997. Financial difficulties and subsequent speculation have put strains on the polite but distant relationship between the two clubs in recent years but the healthy rivalry between the two teams on the park continues. Although Dundee FC were placed into administration in 2003, most Arabs hope that this will be temporary and that the rivalry will continue for many years to come.
The playing record against Dundee FC in major competitions is:

Scottish League (total):
P 116
W 57
D 24
L 35
F 184
A 1246
Premier Division:
P 70
W 36
D 17
L 17
F 111
A 69

Scottish Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1928, 1929, 1951, 1956, 1980, 1987 (semi-final), 1988, 1989, 1990 and 1991.
P 17
W 7
D 7
L 3
F 29
A 21

It’s a fact: The clubs being paired five years in succession between 1987 and 1991 is believed to be a record for the competition. United advanced on each occasion.
League Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1956, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1987 and 1996. They also contested the 1980 final.
P 13
W 6
D 3
L 4
F 24
A 23

Summer Cup: The clubs met in sectional ties in both 1964 and 1965.
P 4
W 2
D 2
L 0
F 10
A 6

Instances of players who have been with one of the city clubs subsequently appearing for the other are not difficult to identify. However, direct transfers between the two clubs are not common; without claiming to be definitive the following list includes most of them:
Dens to Tannadice: Tim Dailly (1909), Thomas Flood (1909), Collie Martin(1913), Fred Stoessell (1913) (all to Dundee Hibs), Jimmy Dickson (1 947), Kinnaird Ouchterlonie (1 948), Alex Stuart (1 969), Duncan McLeod (1 973), Bobby Robinson (1977), lain Phillip (1978), Neil Duffy (1 996).
Tannadice to Dens: George ‘Piper’ Mackay (1947), Jack Court (1948), Ian Scott (1970), Billy Williamson (1977), Tommy Coyne (1986), Jim Mclnally (as player/coach, 1997)
It’s another fact: Dundee FC are one of only two clubs from a lower division to put United out of the League Cup; they were in the First Division when they won a second-round tie at Tannadice on penalties in September 1996.
When Dundee Hibernian was bought by a group of city businessmen in November 1922, it was decided that a change of name, ending the overt Irish connection, was desirable. Various options were considered as an alternative, but eventually Dundee City FC was decided upon. Dundee Hibernian Football and Athletic Company Ltd was then dissolved and its assets were utilised to form a new company, for which debenture shares were issued in the name of Dundee City Athletic Company Ltd.
Prior to the change, Dundee Hibernian, having lost their League place at the end of season 1921/22, had applied to the Scottish League for re-election. It was made clear that, if the application were to be made under the name Dundee City, allied to the fact that the club had new owners, the League would regard the application as coming from an entirely new club and as such it would stand little chance of succeeding. The application therefore remained in the name of Dundee Hibs.
By that time, the Board of Trade, had already endorsed the new company name of Dundee City with the result that, for six months, all business and correspondence had to be conducted under the name Dundee City, while the club continued to play as Dundee Hibs! This bizarre state of affairs continued until the SFA Council meeting in October 1923, at which the club was finally given permission to change its name. Just to complicate matters further, however, they were refused permission (following an objection by Dundee FC) to adopt Dundee City, with Dundee United proving to be the compromise which broke the stalemate.
So Dundee City existed for some seven months, but only as a company; Dundee City FC never existed.
The original name of the club which became Dundee United.
The year 1909 was not the first time a club of that name had emerged from within the city’s Irish sporting fraternity. A club calling itself Dundee Hibernian had appeared in 1894, though this was largely a cloak of convenience for Dundee Harp, who tried to continue under a new name after being expelled by the SFA. They reverted back to Dundee Harp within a year but went out of existence in 1906.
There was no ambiguity as to the purpose of those city businessmen who formed Dundee’s new senior football club in March 1909: it was designed to provide a focus of sporting interest for the city’s large Irish, Roman Catholic, community. They were simply following the example set by the leaders of the same community 30 years earlier, and indeed by the same communities in Edinburgh (1875) and Glasgow (1887) when Hibernian and Celtic were born. Therefore, giving their club the name Dundee Hibernian and adopting colours of green and white was both logical and consistent.
The men who established the new Dundee Hibs were described as ‘Dundee Irishmen’ and were mainly engaged in small businesses or the licensed trade. The club was run by a committee which comprised city councillor Bailie Thomas Hannick as president, Samuel Johnstone (vice president), Patrick Reilly (secretary), Thomas Timmons (treasurer), and ordinary committee members Patrick Doyle, James Glover, Thomas Heraughty, John Kennedy, Thomas Malone and John Naulty. They were determined that their club would prove more durable than its predecessors and they certainly made quick progress. Having spent their inaugural season in the Northern League, the Hibs were voted into the Scottish League in 1910, ahead of St Johnstone, who had been in existence for more than 25 years. With the suspension of Division Two during World War One, the Hibs played in regional leagues, but the decision of the Scottish League not to reinstate a second division after the war came as a serious blow. Hibs could not hope to compete with the drawing power of Dundee FC, at the time one of Scotland’s top clubs, and attendances at Tannadice were at an extremely low level, leading to serious financial difficulties. Although Division Two was eventually reintroduced in 1921, by finishing in second bottom place Dundee Hibs lost their League membership after just one season.
By this time, it was clear that the club commanded something less than the undivided attention of the city’s Roman Catholic community.. Allied to the fact that the treaty providing for the partition of Ireland – for long a contentious matter in Scotland – had led to the civil war then raging in that country, it was clear that the Irish associations of Dundee Hibernian were becoming unwelcome baggage as far as the club’s committee members were concerned.
Having lost their League place, it was not at all clear where the Hibs would spend season 1922/23. Ironically, it was the Irish connection which came to their rescue. Celtic had decided to withdraw their reserve team from the Scottish Alliance and suggested that the Hibs apply for the vacancy. The two clubs had always enjoyed a good relationship and, with Celtic’s support, the Hibs were successful. However, the poorest season in the club’s history saw them finish third bottom, with their future looking bleak.
In November 1922, the club had been bought by a group of city businessmen, most of whom carried neither the religious nor cultural attachments of their predecessors. A limited company was formed for the first time but, despite having the necessary finances to resurrect the club, the directors were unwilling to do so until League status had been regained. The club was re-elected to Division Two in May 1923 and the new board then appointed former Scotland goalkeeper Jimmy Brownlie as player/manager. He was provided with funds to rebuild the team and this heralded a dramatic turnaround in the club’s fortunes.
The final piece of the jigsaw was the most fundamental, though. To complete the new image, and draw a veil over the past, the board decided that all vestiges of the club’s origins had to be removed. That meant a change of name and club colours, both of which required the permission of the Scottish League. The former was not straightforward and was delayed for several months, with the result that the new season commenced with Dundee Hibs playing in black and white. Dundee United eventually took the field for the first time on 27 October 1923, and a new era was born.
The Business Club was founded in 1992, under the chairmanship of the late Jack Martin, with the twin aims of raising money for the Dundee United Youth Development Programme and using its many business contacts and skills to assist the football club. Since then, the Business Club has raised in excess of £90,000 for Dundee United.
Dundee Hibs’ first match against Dunfermline came in the Consolation Cup in February 1911, though 18 months later they joined Hibs in Division Two. The clubs then followed the same path, continuing in the League until the First World War, joining the Eastern League during it, the breakaway Central League of 1920/21, and rejoining Division Two when it was reinstated the following year. They also met in the Qualifying Cup in 1913.
Between 1923 and 1960 the two were opponents in 19 out of 30 League seasons, though only once (1926/27) in Division One. Following United’s return to the top flight they met Dunfermline in all but one of the 15 seasons which preceded the formation of the Premier Division.
The clubs met in the League Challenge Cup in 1995/96, United winning a third-round tie at East End Park 4–0.
The playing record against Dunfermline in major competitions is:
Scottish League (total):
P 116
W 42
D 31
L 43
F 176
A 201
Premier Division:
P 38
W 16
D 14
L 8
F 54
A 41

Scottish Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1967, 1974, 1996 and 2004.
P 5
W 3
D 1
L 1
F 8
A 4

League Cup: the clubs were drawn together in 1954, 1961, 1968, 1972, 1983 and 1991.
P 11
W 6
D 1
L 4
F 18
A 14

Notable transfers to: Andy Rolland (1978), Billy Kirkwood (1987), John Holt (1987), Hamish French (1992)
Notable transfers from: Bill Paterson (1925), Jock Bain (1927), Duncan Hutchison (1927), Pat Gardner (1972)



Subscribe to our e-newsletterView our RSS Feed
  © The Dundee United Football Company Limited
This website, and its component parts, are the property of The Dundee United Football Company Limited, and are protected by the copyright laws of the United Kingdom and under international law. The website may not be copied, duplicated, stored or otherwise reproduced, in whole or in part or parts, without the express written consent of the Company.