Published: 29th April 2022

Lewis O'Donnell capped off a fine week with a late winner for our Young Terrors at Motherwell.

O'Donnell was named in the Scotland squad for the U17 European Championship Finals  on Friday, alongside his Dundee United U18s team-mates Craig Moore and Rory MacLeod.

And he celebrated that call-up with an injury-time strike as United came back from behind to claim a deserved 2-1 victory.

Sam Campbell had opened the scoring for Well in first half injury time but Stuart Heenan levelled before O’Donnell’s dramatic winnner.

The result was no more than our U18s deserved after a superb display against the Young Steelmen.

Dundee United's Young Terrors claimed a win at Motherwell

Motherwell had the game’s first chance with Daniel Hunter coming close from a 20 yard free-kick.

Hunter’s effort was heading for the top corner before a fantastic fingertip save by Young Terrors’ keeper Jamie McCabe clawed the ball the safety.

But while the hosts started brighter, United began to find their passing rhythm.

The confident zipped the ball about the Fir Park turf, patiently waiting for an opening.

Motherwell strike first against Young Terrors

That almost came in 22 minutes as Adam Carnwath’s stunning 45 yard crossfield pass sent Stuart Heenan racing clear.

Heenan went one on one with Lawton Green only for the Well keeper to beat him to the chase.

Carnwath was then denied the opener in 27 minutes as he met a Rory MacLeod corner with Green blocking.

Our Young Terrors fought back from a goal down to win

Five minutes later, Craig Moore had the Young Terrors best chance. 

The midfielder picked up the ball 18 yards out before sending a swerving strike just inches over the top.

The visitors were left to rue that miss as they fell behind, against the run of play, on the stroke of half-time.

A Bailey Rice corner made its’ way to Campbell who prodded over from close range.

Young Terrors step up for second half fightback

United upped the tempo in the second half in search of a leveller.

Miller Thomson was looking particularly threatening and he almost carved Well open in 55 minutes.

He played in MacLeod with his 15 yard strike deflected over for a corner.

Campbell was then the hero for the hosts as he thwarted a clever three-man move involving Young Terrors aces MacLeod, Thomson and Heenan.

But Heenan finally drew the visitors level in 65 minutes.

MacLeod’s sublime through ball sent Heenan clear and he showed fantastic composure to drill beyond Well stopper Green from ten yards.


Thomson then tested Green again from 20 yards with the Well No. 1 equal to his effort.

At the other end, United survived a double scare with Dylan Wells and Mo Adam both striking the woodwork from close range.

But the Young Terrors were to have the last laugh as O’Donnell’s long range effort deceived Green to complete the comeback.