Match Report

United endured a terrible afternoon at the Falkirk Stadium losing by six goals in one in what was easily the poorest performance in a long time.

By Alasdair Marnoch

A lapse in concentration from United’s defence left them open to attack in the opening minutes of the game with a shot from Sibbald hitting the post, rolling across the face of the goal and out for a goal kick. 

Just minutes later, at the other end, King made his way past the keeper in the box and put United into the lead following an excellent assist from Keatings. 

United’s defence were making silly mistakes and the home side grew more dominant as the game progressed. Falkirk came agonisingly close once again in the twelfth minute with a long range effort from Longridge hitting off the bar and going out for another goal kick.

Debutant Mason set up Robson with a lofty cross who met the ball with his head, putting it straight into the keeper’s arms. The Bairns went straight back up the pitch winning themselves a corner, which was cleared by an increasingly panicked United defence.   

After hitting the woodwork for the third time, the home side equalised from their fifth corner with a header from Peter Grant launching itself into the back of the net. 

Falkirk’s attack were all over United, and their perseverance paid off in the final five minutes of the first half with Reghan Tumilty giving Falkirk the lead from inside the box. 

v Falkirk (A) 6.1.18

Falkirk continued into second half much in the same vein, winning two corners early on with Harry Lewis needing to be called into action to tip the ball over the cross bar. The Bairns further increased their lead in the 57th minute with a curling effort from Longridge who struck the ball across the box and into the bottom left corner of the goal. 

United were being embarrassed by the relegation contenders and the final nail went into the coffin as Tommy Robson fired the ball into the top corner making it 4-1. The goals kept coming for Falkirk as Longridge grabbed his second in the 73rd minute and Kidd made it 6-1 in the final minute.   

Summary: After an early goal from Billy King, Falkirk made it look very easy to score against us.  

Falkirk: Thomson, Kidd, McGhee (Watson, 75’), Muirhead, Grant, Taiwo (Welsh, 45’), Sibbald, Longridge, Tumilty, Robson, Nelson (Loy, 79’) 

Subs not used: Mutch, McKee, Harris, Craigen 

Dundee United: Lewis, Scobbie, Quinn, McDonald, King (Smith, 86’), Stanton, Slater (Lyng, 57’), Flood, Robson, Keatings (Chalmers, 65’), Mason 

Subs not used: Deniz, Durnan, Allardice, Ballantyne 

Referee: Nick Walsh 

Attendance: 5326