In 2016, the Club inducted the following into the Hall of Fame: Jerry Kerr, Sandy Davie, Frank Quinn, Andy McLaren, Richard Gough and Sean Dillon.

Total Apps: 28    Goals: 7

Jerry was a former Armadale, Motherwell, Alloa Athletic and St Bernard’s player who joined United in season 1939-40 as a left back. Following the outbreak of WW2 he remained with United throughout the season missing just a handful of games.

Jerry is of course, much better known for making his mark at United as Manager. He took the job in July 1959 and within a year he had led the Club from the depths of the Second Division to promotion into the top flight. He remained in charge for twelve years during which time he transformed United into an established First Division side. More than thirty years later the Club recognised the huge contribution Jerry had made when they renamed the south stand the Jerry Kerr Stand.

Total Apps: 184   Goals: 0

Sandy signed from Butterburn Youth Club in August 1961. He became first choice keeper when an injury to Donald Mackay allowed Sandy to take the no.1 jersey in October 1962 and over the next six years the two keepers shared first team duties.

In May 1964, Sandy was named in the Scotland Under-23 side to face France. In October 1968, he accepted a move to Luton Town for a reported fee of around £8,000 . He then spent time with Southampton but re-signed for United in May 1972 for a reported £5,000 as the deputy for the established Hamish McAlpine.

Sandy was in the side for the Club’s first the Scottish Cup final in 1974. Shortly afterwards, he emigrated to New Zealand where he signed for North Shore United.


TOTAL APPS: 200    GOALS: 109

Frank played for local junior club Saltcoats Victoria before turning senior with Celtic in November 1946. After two years on the fringes with the Glasgow club, he signed on a free transfer with United. He was soon a first pick and throughout a Tannadice career which spanned six years, he was a regular in the side and one of the stars of the early post war era, remembered fondly as one of United’s ‘Famous Five’ combination of Quinn, Grant, McKay, Dunsmore and Cruickshank.

Considering he was a winger, Frank achieved a fantastic scoring rate and at the end of the 1952-53 season, he finished as the Club’s top scorer. In his final season, he featured in just over half of the league and cup games and he was released in May 1954. He then joined Hamilton Academical.


Total Apps: 250   Goals: 23 

Andy joined United from Rangers Amateurs Boys Club. He was involved with the Scottish national squad at schoolboy and youth level and was part of the United team, which won the BP Youth Cup in 1990 and 1991. Andy was later a Scotland Under-21 international and gained one full international cap.

Fully established in the team by 1993-94, he collected a winners medal in the 1994 Scottish Cup final. Andy continued to play regularly until he moved to Reading in March 1999, for a performance related fee of £150,000. After spells with Livingston and Kilmarnock he returned to United in August 2003. He had time on loan at Partick Thistle and Morton before signing for the latter club in July 2005.


Total Apps: 256   Goals: 37

After growing up in South Africa, Richard came to Britain at the age of 16 hoping to build a career as a professional footballer, and after a spell with Charlton Athletic and a trial at Rangers he signed a full-time contract with United in 1980. A regular in the reserves in his first season, he was promoted to the first team squad after making his first team debut as a substitute against Celtic in April 1981. At the end of the year he was home sick and returned briefly to South Africa, but within a few weeks he was back at Tannadice and became a regular in the line up from that point on.

He was a member of the squad that won the Scottish League championship in 1982-83, scoring several important goals during the campaign. An unused substitute in the 1981 League Cup final, he also collected runners-up medals in the League Cup and Scottish Cup finals of 1984/85.

Richard also enjoyed European football with United, including a run to the European Cup semi-final against Roma in 1984. Having already been capped at Under-21 level, he made his full international debut against Switzerland in 1983 and would go on to win 61 caps – see ‘International’ tab.

With several clubs in England now showing interest, Richard continued to make a significant contribution at Tannadice, collecting the SPFA Player of the Year award for 1985-86. With manager Jim McLean playing Gough at right-back for the majority of his time at United, the player grew increasingly frustrated at not being able to play in his favoured position of centre-half, and in the summer of 1986 he tabled a transfer request. Initially turned down, it ultimately resulted in a £750,000 move to Tottenham Hotspur in August 1986, where he became captain and collected an FA Cup runners-up medal in his first season.

In October 1987, he became the first £1m-plus signing by a Scottish club when Graeme Souness brought him back across the border to join Rangers, where he made his debut against his old club at Tannadice – ironically his last match for United had been against Rangers at Ibrox. Richard spent ten seasons at the Ibrox club, winning nine League, three Scottish Cup and six League Cup medals.

In 1997 he left to play in the USA with Kansas City Wizards but returned to Rangers again briefly, before going back to the USA to join San Jose Clash. In 1999 he joined Everton and had a brief spell on loan at Nottingham Forest before ending his playing career in Australia with Northern Spirit. Richard went into management for a short spell with Livingston during season 2004/05.


Total Apps: 317   Goals: 7

Seán started his football career as a youth with Aston Villa before playing his first professional game with Longford Town in his native Ireland. He also represented Ireland at Under-16 and Under-21 level, playing in the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championships. During his three seasons at Longford, he won the FAI Cup twice and the League of Ireland Cup, before joining Shelbourne. A year later in January, he was signed by United manager Craig Levein for an undisclosed fee.

Arriving at the Club as a right-back, Seán became a regular in the starting line up and collected a runners-up medal as an unused substitute in the League Cup final in March 2008. In May 2010 he won a Scottish Cup winner’s medal in the Final against Ross County. Whilst at United, Seán also played for his country in a ‘B’ international, against Scotland. In his later seasons, he was moved to the left of defence and eventually into a centre half role, forming pairings with Garry Kenneth and later Gavin Gunning under manager Peter Houston.

By early 2013, Seán had become the most featured non-Scot in the Club’s history – an appearance tally he continued to add to. Following the departure of his fellow countryman Jon Daly, Seán was named as the new Club Captain for 2013-14 season under the new manager Jackie McNamara, but with more competition for the centre half position, Seán moved in and out of the first team during the first half of the new campaign.

By March 2014, he had re-affirmed his position in the team and in May, he collected a runners-up medal in the Scottish Cup Final against St Johnstone. A League Cup runners-up medal following the season after as United lost out to Celtic and on May 19th, 2015, Seán signed a contract extension that would keep him at the Club until 2017. On February 5th, 2016, Seán became the first current player to be inducted in to the Dundee United Hall of Fame

  • Total Apps: Goals:
Return to Hall of Fame