Partick Thistle 2 United 2

Published: 4th January 2015

A Nadir Ciftci goal with 18 minutes to play earned United a point in a closely fought match in Glasgow. The starting eleven had a familiar look to it with McNamara sticking to the same eleven that convincingly turned over Dundee earlier in the week. By Joe James A vast number of injuries and illnesses forced Thistle into making five changes as Dale Keenan, Declan McDaid, Liam Lindsay, Steven Lawless and Kris Doolan all entered the starting 11. First half: United started the game at a ferocious tempo and within the space of a minute they could have taken the lead. Nadir Ciftci's defence splitting pass fell to Gary Mackay-Steven who could only strike an effort into the hands of Paul Gallacher. After a dominant first ten minutes, Ciftci again provided the creative spark when he dinked an inch perfect pass over the Thistle defence and into Mackay-Steven who controlled the ball nicely before slotting calmly past the Thistle goalkeeper, giving United the lead. United's dominance came to an abrupt ending at 23 minutes when midfielder Gary Fraser looped a corner into the box with Ryan Stevenson following up with the header that flew into the back of the net. Less than ten minutes later, Thistle doubled their lead when United failed to clear the ball from inside the box, and the unmarked Doolan capitalised on it, converting from five yards. Thistle almost added a third just before half time. As United pored bodies forward in search of an equaliser, the Jags quickly countered attacked and a Cierzniak save as well as the post prevented Gary Fraser from adding a third goal from point blank range. Second half: In comparison to the first half, the second was more scrappy and real battle in midfield. However, as the second period wore on it was Thistle who were controlling the match in terms of possession and pace. At 72 minutes, against the run of play, United equalised. Under immense pressure from Calum Butcher, United robbed the ball off Thistle before Mackay-Steven drove quickly up the pitch and slipped a ball into Ciftci who fired into the roof of the net. For the remainder of the match, it was United who looked the more likely to take the lead, however, Ryan Dow's shot from just inside the box flew over the bar with the full time whistle following it. Thistle: Gallacher, O'Donnell, Balatoni, Bannigan ('79 Craigan), Doolan, Stevenson, Lawless, Fraser, Lindsay, McDaid, Keenan. Unused subs: Fox, Eccleston, Wilson, Leyden. United: Cierzniak, Dillon, Townsend, Fojut, Watson (Spittal '56), Butcher, Rankin (Telfer '56), Armstrong, Mackay-Steven, Erskine (72' Ryan Dow), Ciftci. Unused subs: Szromnik, Wilson, Connolly, Spark. Referee: John Beaton Attendance: 3,761