United 1 Inverness CT 2

Nicky Clark Penalty

Published: 3rd March 2019

Disappointment for the large number of Arabs who packed into Tannadice as Inverness progress to the semi finals at United’s expense.

By Tommy McKay

Robbie Neilson's men went into today's gaming hoping to repeat Tuesday’s winning result over ICT.  Despite promotion being the priority this season, a trip to Hampden doesn’t come along every year.

There were two changes to the line up from Tuesday with Fraser Fyvie coming in for the suspended Calum Butcher and Cammy Smith replacing Paul McMullan.

It was the visitors who started stronger and dominated possession all over the park in the opening exchanges. 

Siegrist was on hand to tip an early Doran shot wide and saw headers from the giant White and equally tall Donaldson drift wide. 

ICT didn’t have to wait much longer to get their noses in front.  A first goal of the season from Chalmers came on 19 minutes.  After picking up possession outside the United box, he checked onto his left foot and curled one into Siegrist’s top right hand corner. 

It was almost 0-2 when a deflected cross into the box found Chalmers 10 yards out who thumped his volley of the underside of the crossbar but eventually United cleared.

Both teams had numerous shots that flew high and wide as the teams went in at the break with the score 0-1 to ICT.

3.3.19 v ICT (H) SC

2nd Half

United came out with more determination in the second half and made two substitutions before the hour mark.  Fyvie made way for Gomis and McMullan replaced Cammy Smith and it was McMullan who made an almost immediate impact to United’s attacking play when he brought out a smart save from Ridgers in the Inverness goal.  From the resulting corner he won a penalty after being brought down by White.

Like he did on Tuesday, Nicky Clark beat Ridgers from the spot to restore parity in the match with 22 minutes remaining.

Inverness were furious with the decision that resulted in former player Coll Donaldson being cautioned by Steven McLean.

It was the visitors who would come closest to winning it late on as Siegrist did brilliantly to block White after he was put through 1 on 1 with the keeper.   Substitute Austin headed in from a well worked set play however he was adjudged to have been offside and the goal was ruled out despite the appeals of the ICT players and bench.

Unfortunately for the majority of the 7274 strong crowd, the visitors did find the lead in injury time.  White’s headed flick found Doran who got in between two United defenders and buried his header beyond Siegrist.

All focus now turns towards promotion for Neilson’s men and despite the obvious disappointment losing a quarter final in injury time brings, promotion is very much the most important thing for United to focus on. 

Man of the Match: Jamie Robson – Great energy, strong in the tackle and maturity are all attributes he has added to his game since coming back into the team.

Dundee United: Siegrist, Seaman, Connolly, Reynolds, Robson, Fyvie (Gomis), Harkes, Pawlett, Clark, C Smith (McMullan), Safranko  Subs: Booth, Stanton, Nesbitt, Laidlaw, Watson

Booked: Safranko, Fyvie

ICT: Ridgers, McKay, Donaldson, McCart, Tremarco, Welsh, Trafford (Austin), Chalmers, Polworth (Rooney), Doran, White Subs: McCauley MacKay, MacKay, MacGregor, Hyde

Referee: Steven McLean

Attendance: 7274