Women's Team squad pic

Published: 12th September 2021

Three goals in the space of six minutes meant Dundee United came away with the points at Rugby Park on Sunday in the SWPL2.

All three goals came inside the opening eleven minutes thanks to Cassie Cowper, Robyn Smith and Danni McGinley; Shelley Campbell grabbing a consolation with a great free-kick.

Graeme Hart made two changes from the previous week’s win over Stirling University as Erin Cattanach was replaced by Laurie Ross while Lauren Perry was also handed a debut between the sticks.

United came out flying out at kick off and could have scored within two minutes as Robyn Smith’s strike was deflected wide in between three corners.

It was from a corner that the deadlock was broken just five minutes in; Tammy Harkin’s corner caused havoc inside the box and the ball eventually crossed the line. It wasn’t until half time that it was confirmed that Cassie Cowper got the final touch.

The lead was doubled through Robyn Smith when she fired home after a Danni McGinley cross for her third league goal of the season.

Six minutes after opening the scoring, United were three ahead and it was McGinley’s turn to powerfully rifle home to make it double figures in all competitions for her.

The hosts had their first chance shortly after as Lisa Swanson fired well wide of the mark.

Attacker Laurie Ross could have further extended the lead but couldn’t get her shot on target from Harkin’s cross.

Abby Robinson forced a save from United debutant Perry just after the half hour mark while at the other end Rachel Todd saw her lofted shot fall just over the bar.

The final chance of the half fell to Swanson who sent a tame free kick towards Perry but the keeper was more than capable to push the ball over the bar.

Kilmarnock made a triple change at half time as they looked to find a way back into the game but the early chances fell United’s way with Cowper firing wide twice in quick succession. 

Laurie Ross had a dipping volley tipped over in the 50th minute after excellent work by Smith and McGinley set her up.

After scoring her first goal for the club a fortnight ago, Rachel Todd came close to adding another after 67 minutes; Erin Ross’ cross finding the winger at the back post but she could only stab the ball into the side netting.

Megan Burns had to look sharp to get a foot in before Shelley Campbell could get a shot away for the hosts as the game entered the final stages.

Kilmarnock grabbed themselves a goal with seven minutes remaining as Campbell curled a free kick past Perry but it was little more than a consolation as United ran out deserved winners.

The result means United are still top of the league on goal difference ahead of Boroughmuir Thistle and Glasgow with two wins from two.

Kilmarnock: Reeve, Burrows, Gray (Baird 77), Connolly (Paton 46), Robinson, Harty (Reside 77), Campbell, Galt (O’Brien 46), Swanson, Neil, M. Crooks (Munro 46)

Sub not used: Swan

Dundee United: Perry, Cowper, McGinley, E. Ross, Smith, L. Ross (Robson 76), Todd, Burns, Foote, Harkin, Clemison

Subs not used: Robb, Kern, McMillan, Meach